Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Can I open a bank account in Holland


Can I open a bank account in Holland?
I am European citizen (Spanish) but Im thinking about opening a bank account in Holland. * I did my studies there, so I have a Sofinummer (from 2004, dont know if it's still working) * I have a good friend living there, so I could use her address * I dont have a dutch contact, or work in Holland... Would it still be possible to open a bank account there? The bank in question is ING Thanks a lot if you can help me !! :D
Netherlands - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
In order to open an account with the ING you must at least show ID in person to the branch of the ING in the town you are registered. http://www.ing.nl/particulier/betalen/betaalrekeningen/betaalrekening-openen.aspx confirms this fact "Als u een nieuwe klant van de ING bent, moet u zich identificeren bij het ING-kantoor" - which says that if you are a new customer to ING then you have to ID yourself at the ING branch Also whilst your pinpas would be sent to your house, you would have to pick up in person both your pincode and code for internet banking in person as well Banks will check to ensure the person is registered & legally residing in the Netherlands. We opened an ING account because we got a mortage with them a year or so ago and this involved producing ID cards and signing/picking up stuff in person. On that basis you will not be able to open an account with the ING if you are not legally residing in the Netherlands as far as I know - sorry
2 :
i just opened one all you need is A SOFI NUMBER MAKE AN APPOINMENT WITH THEM @kingsburghstraat you have to speak dutch to them cos they refuse to speak any other langauage so if you speak dutch or know of anyone GOOD LUCK hope this helps .
3 :
Good answer as usual from bla bla, but just to go a little further; up to a few years ago (< > 8?) it was possible to open an account without being a resident of The Netherlands as long as the account was used. However this changed to being able to open a bank account only if regular deposits were made via a wage / salary or a regular direct debit payment. (Although if the account already existed before this change, the account remained open) Of course, as to whether this applies to all banks I'm not sure, but this was my experience with AMRO.